Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Orange Pancakes



Yesterday, I made orange pancakes for breakfast!! they were delicious!! I am all about trying new things for breakfast, lunch or dinner, but breakfast has been my bandwagon lately.  


For the pancakes, I used Great Value instant buttermilk pancake mix and added milk and water, and one egg.  If making a ton of pancakes,  I would use two or three eggs.  The eggs help keep the pancakes fluffy, but if you go overboard on the eggs, your pancakes will turn out like crepes instead of pancakes.  I then added one tablespoon of imitation vanilla extract and about one teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons pure orange extract and then made the pancakes on the griddle!! They smelled so good!! 


In the process I made some delicious syrup.  Here is the recipe. 



Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

  1. Bring butter, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla extract, corn syrup, and cinnamon to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once simmering, whisk in baking soda, and cook for 10 seconds before removing from heat. Serve warm.


The baking soda causes the syrup to bubble, so if you don't want that, don't add the baking soda.  I also added a bit more cinnamon than the recipe called for and it was delicious!! The pancakes turned out warm and fluffy and the syrup was a perfect compliment to the orange in the pancakes!! Give them a try!! so delicious!!!

No comments: